Friday, December 24, 2010
It's Starting to Look a Lot Like a Nightmare!
Okay, two posts about Christmas? You know you love Christmas when...

But no, in all seriousness, doesn't Christmas almost drive you insane? Oh yes, that special time of year when prices on certain items drop by a specific percentage (Christmas Blowout! 20% Off All Electronics!) and everyone's doing the mad-dash to buy that special someone that special something to really impress them for the next three weeks.

But seriously? Is that all Christmas is about? Buying and receiving gifts? I'd rather just buy my own crap and be happy with what I have. I especially hate it when someone tells you that they bought you something, but they're not sure you'll like it -- and Christmas isn't tomorrow. Honestly. I really get sick and tired of having to buy people stuff that I'm not sure they'll like, because then they say, "Oh, well, it's the thought that counts." Well, if that's all that you're going to say, I might as well not have even bothered and spent my money better elsewhere and gave you a card with a $20 note inside, or a gift certificate, one of the two.

I hate that excuse on Christmas. "It's the thought that counts." I'm not being a Scrooge, or a Grinch, but I cannot stand Christmas for that exact reason: having to buy somebody that 'special something' in order to impress them for whatever reason, only to be blown off with some mundane saying. Maybe I'm just bitter because I didn't have enough money this year to actually buy people something they could use. For reasons of because, I won't go into what exactly I bought (as some people's gifts are still in the mail) but I just cannot stand all this huff and puff over Christmas.

I posted on my Facebook status a while back, and this isn't word-for-word, "The greatest gift a person could receive for Christmas is the knowledge that they are loved and cared for by the people who truly matter." I think the only reason why I said that was because I didn't have a clue what to get for my mother this Christmas and I am a very lovey-dovey kind of person and I truly love and care for all the people who have come into my life and have helped me through thick and thin (granted, the list isn't long but I'm still happy for those people being in my life). Yes, because of the media and consumer companies, if you tell somebody that you love and care for them and that's their Christmas present, they'll be bitter and shake you off... Well, okay, again with pessimism as some people probably would hug you and cry over that, depending on how you worded it, but the majority of today's society would kind of grunt and sniff over not receiving anything physical.

And that's the other thing that drives me nuts -- anything physical almost always has to be given on Christmas day in order to tell the receiver that you love them. I think that's what I meant to say a couple of paragraphs back, but still. If you've read this far, then that's about the only Christmas present I could ever ask for. Oh, and comments. I don't care if they're mean or nice, I just like knowing people read my blog. BUT ANYWAY.

The reason why I'm going on this great big huge rant is because I'm so confused when all of this consumer-crazed Christmas bullshit started. Granted, I do know the story about how Santa Claus (otherwise better known in churches and to saint-believers as St. Nicholas) goes and how Christmas was started (and for God's sake, it was NOT about Jesus Christ being born around this time, apparently he was born in June or July or something like that). Allegedly (as Kathy Griffin would say), St. Nicholas would give gifts to little children on December 25th of every year and give out incredulous words of advice to those who needed uplifting or clarity ... or something to that effect. Or maybe it was just gift giving. But anyway. I mean, if I remember correctly, apparently the children that had received gifts from St. Nicholas had terrible lives and St. Nicholas knew this and tried to make them happy if only for just five minutes. I'm confused, however, as to why somebody (ahemCocaColaahem) would take this myth and use it to cause a wildfire effect in the consumer industry. It really just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

I just wish that Christmas was a little more thoughtful and not so expensive. That's all I'm saying.

Right, okay, now that I have that out of my chest, since I want this blog to be all about my adventures in the makeup industry, I thought I would have little fun with my blog and start doing step-by-step tutorials (with pictures, of course) for looks that people can wear at events, social gatherings, etc. etc., instead of just doing my drag looks on my Youtube channel (which you can go to here). I think I promised myself that I would put up a new look every Monday (in other words, every Sunday night before I go to bed) just to give people that extra "oomph" factor on their Mondays. Like I said, these looks aren't going to be drag but just nice ones that you can use to go out on a Friday night.

All right all, I shall talk to you guys soon! I'll post my first look this coming Sunday as I'm not doing anything then anyway so I might as well do something. c;

Stay gold!
- Colten.
xoxoxo
0 Comments:

Post a Comment